What is Kybella
Kybella, a form of deoxycholic acid, is an injectable treatment approved by the FDA to reduce chin fat. These injections contain a naturally occurring molecule that helps the body absorb and remove fat.
When introduced into the submental fat, it effectively dissolves and removes excess fat cells, resulting in a more contoured, streamlined profile.
Unlike traditional liposuction procedures, Kybella does not require surgery or anesthesia. It is a non-invasive alternative with excellent cosmetic results and minimal downtime. Patients see optimal results after a treatment series tailored to their individual needs.
Fat cells can accumulate along the jawline and under the chin as we age, even in people of average weight. Kybella offers a reliable and potent alternative for targeting stubborn fat, eliminating the need for surgical methods.
Just a few in-office treatment sessions can help patients reveal a slimmer, better-defined chin and neck area.
Why Kybella is Performed
Kybella Helps Eliminate Submental Fullness for an Improved Profile. These injections are used primarily for cosmetic improvement of the chin and neck area. As we age, fat cells can accumulate along the jawline and under the chin, causing submental fullness. Even people with an average weight may notice this double chin effect.
Genetics, aging, and weight fluctuations can all contribute to submental fat. The technical name for this is “submental fullness,” referring to fat deposits under the chin.
These fat cells are difficult to eliminate, even with diet and exercise. As a result, submental fullness makes the chin and neck appear less defined.
Kybella offers a way to selectively destroy fat cells in this area. A few in-office treatment sessions can help patients reveal a slimmer, better-defined chin and neck for an improved profile.
How Kybella Works to Destroy Fat Cells
Kybella contains synthetic deoxycholic acid, which naturally aids in the breakdown and absorption of fat in the body. When injected into submental fat under the chin, Kybella destroys fat cells in two ways:
- Kybella causes lysis (rupturing) of fat cells by disrupting the cell membrane. Destroyed fat cells release fatty acids that are naturally cleared and absorbed by the body.
- Kybella also leads to apoptosis, or programmed cell death, in submental fat cells. The injected area essentially signals fat cells to self-destruct, after which the debris is cleared away.
- A Kybella treatment permanently eliminates fat cells in the treated area through cell rupture and self-destruction mechanisms. Once destroyed, these cells cannot accumulate fat again. Additional fat cells may develop over time, so a personalized treatment plan with multiple sessions is necessary to reduce submental fullness.
Most Common Treatment Areas for Kybella
Kybella is specifically approved for improving the appearance of submental fullness under the chin. As it is injected into the submental fat area, it causes the destruction and elimination of fat cells over time.
Kybella is designed for small treatment areas like the submental zone. Your provider will customize your injections to target unwanted fat pockets along the jawline and under the chin. You’ll develop a tailored treatment plan based on your desired improvements.
Safety and Potential Side Effects
Kybella injections are very safe when performed correctly by an experienced provider. Still, as with any treatment, side effects are possible. The most common include:
- Swelling: Some swelling is expected after Kybella injections. It typically peaks at 2-4 days and resolves within about 7-14 days.
- Bruising: Bruises may develop at injection sites and resolve within 7-10 days.
- Numbness: Temporary numbness can occur and normally resolves within a few weeks.
- Redness: Redness typically lasts under ten days.
- Pain: There may be mild to moderate pain after injections, often relieved by OTC pain medication.
- Nodules: Sometimes, small firm nodules form at the injection site as the destroyed fat tissue is cleared away. These normally disappear within a few weeks.
- Asymmetry: Slight asymmetry between the two sides under the chin can occur due to variability in the amount of fat reduction. Additional touch-up sessions help maximize uniform results.
Less common side effects seen in clinical studies include:
- Nerve injury: This can cause itching, numbness, or tingling that typically resolves in time.
- Headache and neck pain.
- Tooth and gum sensitivity, irritation, or ulceration from the injection (rare).
- Skin rash (rare).
- An allergic reaction is possible but extremely rare. Let your provider know right away about any unusual or concerning reactions.
Proper injection methods from an expert provider reduce the likelihood of adverse events. Your provider will discuss all the risks and benefits before your treatment.
Preparing for Kybella Treatment
Before Kybella treatment, your provider will likely have you stop blood thinning medications like aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E, and fish oil supplements. These can increase the chance of bruising. Inform your provider of all supplements and medications you take.
Come to your appointment clean-shaven and wearing clothing that allows access to chin injections. Arrive relaxed, as stress can increase discomfort.
Numbing cream, local anesthesia, and cold packs help maximize comfort during the procedure. Most Kybella sessions take less than 20 minutes.
During Kybella Injections
During Kybella treatment sessions, your provider will use a small needle to inject the solution directly into the fat tissues under your chin and along your jawline.
Most providers inject Kybella just under the skin, while some inject it into deeper fat layers. They will tailor your injections to the specific areas of submental fullness you wish to improve.
Cold packs and numbing creams help minimize discomfort. You’ll remain awake and alert throughout the short procedure. Multiple injections are administered during each session, with approximately one month between sessions for optimal results.
After Kybella Injections
Immediately after Kybella injections, you may have some redness, swelling, bruising, or numbness under your chin. Most side effects peak in severity at 2-4 days. Use cool compresses as needed to help reduce swelling. Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours post-treatment.
You can normally resume regular activities immediately but should avoid touching or massaging treatment areas for several hours to prevent the solution from spreading. Use acetaminophen or Tylenol in case of experiencing any mild tenderness or discomfort. Most side effects resolve within two weeks.
How Long Kybella Results Last
Kybella destroys fat cells permanently through cell rupture and breakdown. However, new fat cells may gradually accumulate in the area over time and with aging. Most patients need 2-4 Kybella treatment sessions spaced about one month apart for optimal, long-lasting reduction of submental fullness.
With the customized recommended regimen, noticeable improvements in chin contour often last at least two years on average. Some patients opt for maintenance touch-up injections every 12-24 months if they notice slight recurrent submental fullness. Discuss your long-term expectations and goals with your provider.
Important Safety Information for Kybella
Before receiving Kybella treatment, talk with your provider about your health history and tell them if you:
- Have swelling or infection in the treatment area
- Have had an allergic reaction to any ingredient in Kybella, such as deoxycholic acid or phosphatidylcholine
- Take any blood thinner medications or supplements
- Have an infection, skin condition, or neuromuscular disorder affecting your treatment area
- Are or may be pregnant nursing, or planning pregnancy
Your provider will review all potential risks with you and determine if you are a good candidate for Kybella based on your health history and desired outcome. Follow your provider’s pre- and post-treatment instructions carefully.
Cost of Kybella Treatment
As an injectable alternative to cosmetic surgery for reducing submental fullness and improving facial contours, Kybella pricing depends on the required dosage based on an individual’s treatment area and goals.
Since a higher dose demands more vials of the active ingredient deoxycholic acid, costs are scaled accordingly. Some practices charge per vial injected each session, while others offer flat rates per treatment cycle.
Many run promotional packages to incentivize completing the series for optimal results, lowering per-session fees.
Choosing a Kybella Provider Near Me
Only licensed healthcare professionals like doctors, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants can legally provide Kybella injections. When choosing a provider, verify their credentials and advanced training with injectable treatments. An ideal provider has:
- A Medical license in good standing
- Advanced certification for cosmetic filler or injectable procedures
- Years of specialized experience with chin contouring treatments
- A portfolio showing beautiful, natural-looking results
- Strong safety record and stellar patient reviews
- Clean, modern office accredited for procedural safety standards
- Friendly staff who explain your options in simple terms
Choose a Kybella provider who has specialized expertise in chin contouring treatments. An experienced injector understands facial anatomy and aesthetics, allowing them to enhance your natural beauty safely and effectively.
At Green Relief Health Med Spa & Medical Weight Loss, Dr. Lauren Nawrocki specializes in subtle, natural-looking treatments for chin contouring. With advanced expertise in cosmetic filler and injectable treatments like Kybella, Dr. Nawrocki develops customized plans designed for safety, comfort, and your unique facial structure.
We offer Kybella for the nonsurgical reduction of submental fullness. Contact us today to schedule your private consultation with Dr. Nawrocki.
Kybella is an innovative alternative to surgery for reducing submental fullness along the chin and jawline. Through several injections, Kybella permanently destroys fat cells, revealing an improved definition of the chin, neck, and jaw contours.
Treatment takes just 15-20 minutes per session with minimal downtime. While optimal results require multiple sessions spaced a month apart, the total treatment time is still faster than recovery from liposuction or other invasive procedures to address stubborn fat under the chin.
With a customized Kybella regimen tailored to your unique needs and facial aesthetics, you can finally address your double chin concerns and achieve a slimmer, better-defined profile nonsurgically.
Contact Green Relief Health Med Spa & Medical Weight Loss to schedule an in-depth consultation with Dr. Lauren Nawrocki to determine if Kybella is right for you.