What is Sculptra? An Overview
Sculptra is an injectable filler used to stimulate collagen production and restore facial volume. It contains poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA), a biocompatible synthetic material that helps the body generate new collagen.
As the Sculptra particles gradually degrade, they trigger the body to produce more of its own natural collagen, resulting in a gradual increase in facial fullness over time.
The key benefits of Sculptra include replacing lost collagen, restoring facial contours, improving the appearance of wrinkles and hollow areas, and providing subtle, natural-looking results that emerge gradually. The effects of treatment can last up to two years.
Sculptra is popularly used for cheek augmentation, chin augmentation, temple hollowing, nasolabial folds, and facial volume loss that occurs with aging. It can be used effectively in combination with other fillers or treatments.
Why Sculptra Treatments Are Done
There are several reasons people choose to have Sculptra treatments:
- Collagen replacement: Sculptra replaces collagen the face loses over time, restoring a more youthful facial contour and structure.
- Under-eye hollows: Injected along the tear trough area, it can reduce under-eye circles and hollowness.
- Cheek enhancement: Sculptra adds volume to flatten cheeks, accentuate cheekbones, or give a more rounded shape.
- Temple hollowing: It fills in sunken temples or hollows in the outer cheek.
- Jawline contouring: Sculptra can define and sharpen the jawline.
- Smooth wrinkles: It plumps and fills wrinkles while tightening loose skin.
- Chin, nose, or lip enhancement: Sculptra subtly augments or reshapes certain facial features.
How Do Collagen Stimulatory Fillers Like Sculptra Work
Unlike traditional dermal fillers, which immediately add volume, Sculptra stimulates collagen production to gradually restore facial fullness from within.
The solution contains tiny particles of poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA), which provoke a mild inflammation and immune response under the skin over several weeks and months after injections. This controlled inflammatory process spurs fibroblasts and other cells to produce new types of I and III collagen and elastin.
As the PLLA particles are slowly broken down and metabolized by the body, new collagen takes its place, resulting in increased facial volume. Results from Sculptra are not instant but emerge subtly over 6-8 weeks as the collagen regenerative process unfolds.
Touch-up treatments may be needed after one month to achieve optimal correction and fullness. The cumulative effect of multiple treatments can last up to 25 months.
Common Treatment Areas for Sculptra
Sculptra is highly effective for replacing lost volume in the midface and lower face due to aging or rapid weight loss. The most common areas treated include:
- Cheeks: Restores fullness to flatten cheeks and accentuates the cheekbones. Creates a heart-shaped face when injected along the apple of the cheek.
- Temples: Fills in hollow temples and sunken areas in the outer cheek below the eyes.
- Jawline: Defines and sharpens the jawline and chin when injected along the jaw and pre-jowl sulcus. Can minimize jowls.
- Chin and jaw: Augments a recessed chin or less defined jawline.
- Nasolabial folds: Smoothes lines and wrinkles from the nose to the corners of the mouth.
- Tear troughs: Reduces under eye dark circles and bags.
- Lips: Provides subtle lip enhancement and addresses perioral lines.
Safety and Side Effects of Sculptra
Sculptra has an outstanding safety record and very few side effects when administered properly by an experienced provider. The usual side effects experienced are temporary and often involve redness, swelling, bruising, or tenderness around the injection sites.
As with any injection, there are rare risks. Lumps can occasionally form under the skin if the injections are too close to the surface. In unusual cases, “granulomas” may emerge – hard lumps caused by inflammation around Sculptra particles.
The risk of granulomas may be reduced by injecting in a fanning pattern to better disperse the filler. Ice, compression, and massage can also help smooth any bumps under the skin.
Sometimes, touch-up injections are needed if the results are uneven or inadequate after the initial treatment. Overcorrection is also a possibility if too much filler is injected.
Using the appropriate dilution and technique can help avoid this. The results from Sculptra last about two years on average, but some may see longer-lasting results up to 25 months after the final touch-up session is completed.
Preparing for Sculptra Treatment
There is little required to prepare for Sculptra injections with an experienced provider:
For one-week pre-treatment, avoid blood thinners like aspirin, NSAIDs, garlic, ginkgo, and vitamin E to minimize bruising risk.
- Do not drink alcohol for 24 hours before and after to avoid additional swelling.
- Set up Frozen peas or gel ice packs to reduce swelling afterward.
- Applying a numbing cream is optional and can be done 30 minutes before your appointment.
- Ensure you do not have any infections near the treatment area. Reschedule if you have a cold, virus, or active breakouts.
During the Sculptra Treatment
Treatment time is estimated to be around 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the number of injection sites and the scale of the treated areas. Your provider will:
- Cleanse and numb the treatment areas as needed for your comfort.
- With a thin needle or cannula, inject minute volumes of Sculptra filler beneath the skin, adhering to a grid pattern. The injections are spaced 1-2 centimeters apart.
- Massage the treatment areas to evenly disperse and smooth the Sculptra for natural-looking results. Additional filler may be injected to refine or touch up as needed.
After the Sculptra Treatment
Expect some swelling, redness, bruising, tenderness, or numbness after the treatment. This typically lasts 2-4 days.
You’re free to engage in regular activities immediately after the treatment; avoiding heavy workouts for the subsequent 24 hours is best. The following will help minimize discomfort and side effects:
- Apply ice packs as needed to reduce swelling and bruising. Avoid applying pressure directly on treatment sites.
- Sleep face up or on your back with your head elevated if possible
- Take acetaminophen or ibuprofen if sore
- Gently massage any bumps that emerge under the skin over the next few days
Longevity of Sculptra Results
It takes about 6-8 weeks for the full effect of Sculptra to be seen as collagen production ramps up under the skin. Subtle but visible enhancement typically emerges in 2-4 weeks.
Additional touch-up and contouring treatments may be done after the initial session to achieve optimal augmentation and symmetry in facial features. Results peak by six months.
On average, the effect of Sculptra augmentation lasts around two years. Still, many can expect favorable results from the product for three years or longer as the stimulated collagen remains intact. Patient results can last 18-25 months, making Sculptra a valuable investment for restoring a youthful facial appearance.
Important Safety Information
People who have experienced severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) or are known to be allergic to lidocaine or PLLA, have a history of keloid formation, have a history of autoimmune disorders, or already have over-correction at the site with another filler, should not use Sculptra.
Discuss all potential treatment options with your healthcare provider if you are considering Sculptra for treating facial lipoatrophy.
Cost of Sculptra Treatment
The cost of Sculptra injections can vary widely depending on several factors. These include the number of vials used based on the areas being treated and the desired level of correction.
Generally speaking, Sculptra is considered comparable to other injectable filler options for volume restoration and facial rejuvenation, such as hyaluronic acid fillers.
The long-lasting results of Sculptra offset the slightly higher upfront costs than some other options. Green Relief Health offers payment plans to make this treatment more affordable for interested patients. Discussing budget and options directly with a provider is the best way to get specifics on Sculptra treatment cost based on your unique goals.
Choosing a Provider Near Me for Sculptra
Choosing a highly qualified injector is key for safe, effective administration and beautiful Sculptra results. Seek out a board-certified provider with years of specific Sculptra training experience.
Such specialization, expertise in facial anatomy, and an artistic eye result in a more precise injection technique and balanced outcomes. Optimal results often require 2-4 vials injected properly at multiple depths in small aliquots using thin needles. Inadequate experience risks unevenness, overfilling, or suboptimal enhancement for your investment.
Verify your provider’s qualifications, before and after photos displaying their aesthetic capabilities, use of FDA-approved products, and facility accreditations.
Reputable practices offer consultations to thoroughly evaluate your needs while setting realistic expectations. Ensure yours does the same before considering any injectable filler treatment like Sculptra.
Green Relief Health Med Spa & Medical Weight Loss provides advanced aesthetic treatments focusing on Sculptra along with other dermal fillers, neuromodulators, skin resurfacing, medical facials, and medical weight loss under the direction of Dr. Lauren Nawrocki.
With over a decade of experience, our luxurious practice and superior team skillfully utilize cutting-edge techniques in facial rejuvenation tailored to your unique cosmetic goals and anatomy for natural, beautiful outcomes. Our consultations will develop customized treatment plans for you.
Stop by our conveniently located upscale spa to see if Sculptra or our other advanced services are right for you. Call (410) 368- 0420 now to schedule your appointment, or visit https://www.greenreliefmd.com to learn more.
Sculptra is a unique dermal filler that restores lost facial volume by gradually promoting new collagen formation over 6-8 weeks for subtle, natural enhancement lasting two years or longer.
Unlike traditional fillers, which instantly add fullness, it works from within to replace aging-related collagen loss – stimulating fibroblasts to produce type I and III collagen and elastin over time as the PLLA filler particles are metabolized.
When injected in areas like the cheeks, temples, chin, and tear troughs, Sculptra replaces sunken hollows and contours the face for a more youthful heart shape and definition.
Fine wrinkles smooth, and the skin appears tightened with regular collagen synthesis reactivated. Sculptra’s volumizing effect can last upwards of 25 months, and touch-ups enhance and prolong the results.